Monday, June 30, 2008

"Just a Dog" - I'm Okay - Will Be Back in Touch Soon

For all of you that have written and called and inquired. Thanks.

JUST A DOG

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog,"
or, "that's a lot of money for just a dog."

They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog."

Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog,"
but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog,"
and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you will probably understand phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise."

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy.

"Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person. Because of "just a dog", I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future. So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog”, but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a man or woman." So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog." just smile -- because they "just don't understand."

"Just a Dog" by Richard Biby, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Daryl...I work with Carole Bailey, and had to comment on your blog about "Just a Dog". Over the years, I have had 3 "just dogs" that I've lost, the most recent 2 yrs ago March. All 3 had their own distinctive personalities and all 3 I wouldn't hesitate to call my most valued, trusted friend. I completely understand your comments and I also completely understand the pain in your heart that you're now feeling. When I lost my buddy boy, Rebel, 2 yrs. ago, the pain in my heart was so intense, that it was almost unbearable. It's only been recently that my husband and I can look at videos or pictures without feeling that same overwhelming sadness. Eventually, the sadness is replaced by all the good things they brought into your life, along with the knowledge that you were blessed with such a wonderful friend and family member. When Rebel died, a friend of ours sent a card. The verse in that card said that the best place to bury a dog was in his master's heart. We now have a beautiful black lab named Nancy Reagan (that's another story in itself). Of course, she'll never be Rebel, but she has been a blessing in helping us to heal. She's sweet, loving, mischievious, hard headed (typical lab) and she has captured our hearts. No doubt, we'll lose her too one day and she'll take a special place along with those who've gone before her. It's been through her, that I've come to realize that the greatest tribute we could pay to Rebel, was to give our love to another "just dog"...pay it forward so to speak. Depending on your faith, you may or may not believe that "all dogs go to Heaven"....I for one, feel that Heaven can't exist unless we can see all of our loved ones waiting there for us, including the furry ones. I will say a prayer for you that your heart will be healed and that the hurt will soon be replaced by a comfort and a peace in knowing that he not only was a friend to you, but you were also a blessing and a friend to him. Take care.