Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Grits 'n Greens - It Must Be a Southern 'Thang'

I guess you just have to be born and raised in the South to appreciate some things.

Over the years, as I have traveled across this great land of ours, I have never been one to not try the local eateries. In fact, one of my favorite things used to be stopping in some small southern, southwestern, midwestern or northeastern town and asking for the local cafe.

Then I would take the recommendation from the waitress --- usually Flo in the South and Marge in the Midwest --- and engage in conversation at the counter with my seatmate.

Sometimes I would learn a great deal about nothing and other times I might walk away with a great recipe or a new idea on how to grill fish or beef. I always walked away happy knowing I had taken the time to meet a fellow traveler on my journey.

Speaking of interesting recipes --- the following one was shared by my lovely Mother-in-Law Betty Miller, Smyrna, Ga.

It seems the Miller clan tried this at their weekly beach vacation this year.

I mean how can you not like something that has TWO sticks of butter!

Enjoy!

GRITS N" GREENS CASSEROLE

2 Cups whipping cream or half & half
8 Cups chicken broth, divided
2 Cups grits - not instant or quick grits
1 Large bag frozen collard greens
2 Sticks butter
2 1/2 Cups parmesan cheese
1 / 2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 Cup cooked & crumbled baconGREASE 13 X 9" casserole

COMBINE cream & six cups chicken broth & bring to a boil.
STIR in grits & cook over medium heat until grits return to a boil.
COVER, & reduce heat to simmer
STIR frequently to keep from burning 25 - 30 minutes
ADD milk if needed to thicken to proper consistency. IF you're SOUTHERN you know what that is. IF not, think of slightly runny oatmeal.
WHILE grits are simmering
COOK frozen collards with remaining 2 cups chicken broth until tender (about 10 min.)
DRAIN well in collander, squeezing out remaining liquid.
DABB butter, parmesan & pepper to cooked grits & STIR in butter until melted.STIR in cooked greens & spoon into greased casserole.
TOP with additional parmesan & crumbled baconDISH can be served at room temperature or heat at 350 degrees until browned on top.

Until next time.
Dr. Darryl
L. Darryl Armstrong
ARMSTRONG and Associates

Spread the word

del.icio.us Digg Furl Reddit Ask BlinkList blogmarks Google Ma.gnolia Netscape RawSugar Rojo Shadows Simpy Socializer Spurl StumbleUpon Tailrank Technorati Windows Live Wists Yahoo! Help

No comments: