Tuesday, September 25, 2007

“Pete” died, I never knew him but I know he was loved

“Services for Michael Glenn “Pete” Hyatt, 54, of Eddyville were at 1 p.m. Tuesday at Dunn’s Funeral Home in Eddyville. The Rev. Jamus Redd and the Rev. Steve McVay will officiate, with burial in Macedonia Cemetery. Mr. Hyatt died Thursday at the Cancer Treatment Center of America in Oklahoma. He worked at ITT Grinnell in Princeton and retired from the state highway department after 22 years of service. He was a member of Fairview United Methodist Church. “

I never knew Pete.

I heard of him this morning while I was standing in line at the Post Office. A patron wanted to know if the Postmaster knew why there were six KYDOT trucks parked at the one stop light in Eddyville. I had seen them and was curious myself. The Postmaster didn’t know but the Sheriff did.

Pete had died.

Pete just retired recently after 22-years of state government service. He had not even gotten his first retirement check.

Now many of you know that I was a federal employee for almost 20-years myself. I heard all the jokes, the side comments and the slanderous things that were said over the years about how lazy a “guvmint:” worker was. Well, I am here to tell you state or federal employee there are just as many dedicated, hard-working and committed employees in the government work force as there is in the private sector. So, I knew what was going through the fella’s mind at the Post Office about all those "good ole boys" at the traffic light..

The Sheriff set him straight. Pete had died.

His funeral procession was due in about 20-minutes and would go right through the only traffic light in Eddyville, right at the intersection of 62/641/293.

I figured Pete had probably traveled that road thousands of times and this would be his last trip.

Now, there is one thing you can say about government employees – just like the military or law enforcement they take care of their own and show respect for one of theirs.

I had done it many times during federal service and to show my respect to fellow military men and women.

In the South, many of us were brought up to stop our cars and pull off the side of the road when a funeral procession approached. My Grand Daddy even insisted we step out of the truck and take off our hats as the procession passed. I still do that.

So, I understood why there were six KYDOT trucks and men waiting patiently all dressed in traffic vests and field clothes and holding STOP signs. Pete was a field man. No suits for him.

It was all about respect.

You see men have a hard time expressing how they feel. But not today at this intersection. I pulled into the service station filled my tank with gas and waited.

Sure enough shortly the procession began. Led by the Sheriiff’s car.

And in honor of “Pete,” a state employee I didn’t know yet could feel affinity toward I stepped from my truck, removed my hat and stood at parade rest as he passed one last time down Highway 641.

And I saw grown men get out of their KYDOT trucks, turn on their overhead flashing lights,, remove their hats, and staff STOP signs and stop traffic to honor their friend “Pete” --- and I was moved.

And I wondered, as I stood there, if anyone would do that for me when I passed the final time down the highway of life.

No, Pete I’m sorry I didn’t know you --- because I know you were deeply loved and respected by your fellow colleagues. That was very obvious today.

And I was reminded of a line from a Jimmy Buffet song, “...some of life was magic, some was tragic but I had a good life always.”

As I got back into my truck to drive back to the lake I saw an older, grizzled fellow crawl into his KYDOT truck and discreetly wipe away a tear.

Men have such a hard time expressing their emotions.

Until next time.

Dr. Darryl
L. Darryl Armstrong
ARMSTRONG and Associates
Spread the worddel.icio.us Digg Furl Reddit Ask BlinkList blogmarks Google Ma.gnolia Netscape RawSugar Rojo Shadows Simpy Socializer Spurl StumbleUpon Tailrank Technorati Windows Live Wists Yahoo! Help

No comments: