Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Being thankful ...

I saw Mitch Albom, the author of Tuesdays with Morrie, yesterday and it prompted me to think about the people in my life (other than my parents) that helped me grow up and that I want to thank for all their assistance in making me who I am today. Some have already passed on, unfortunately, but the thought is still the same. We should take time to thank those that made a difference.

My Aunt Anzie – She helped raise me. Taught me patience encouraged my creativity and was kind and gentle. She cured me of asthma, or as my Mother called it croup, and she had the longest braid of hair I have ever seen. She tried to teach me the Ancient ways. I didn’t learn many of them except how to plant by the signs.

Mrs. Crenshaw – My first grade teacher. She inspired me to love to read and to learn. She had a crippled foot. I always hurt when she walked. She taught me compassion I suspect.

Mrs. Jones – My third grade teacher. She urged me to read as much as I wanted and was always gentle and kind.

Mrs. Cunningham – Probably my favorite teacher of all times. She taught me manners. They have served me well ever since.

Miss Ozzie – I just liked her. She was my front door neighbor and often carried me to school. I still see her now and then and give her a hug.

My Grandfather Gunther and Uncle Ross – They taught me how to hug another man and not feel awkward about it. They were big and tall men and I always wanted to be as tall as they were. I didn’t make it.

My Aunt Basil, Aunt Lena and Aunt June – They showed and gave me love and kindness always.

Gid S. Pool – He took a chance on me when I needed to work as a kid of 13 years old and helped me grow my interest of writing and photography into passions.

Joe Tom Erwin – He taught me to laugh from my belly.

Captain Richard Mallard – He believed in me at a time when I had great self-doubt.

Harl Barnett – He introduced me to conservatism at an early and impressionable age.

Tommy Miller – He encouraged me to pursue my business and to spread my wings.

Jim Knipe – He continues to encourage and inspire me to be the best I can be while enjoying every minute of life.

Ann Knipe – She is the Mother figure I always needed.

To be continued ...

Until next time.

Dr. Darryl
L. Darryl Armstrong
ARMSTRONG and Associates

Spread the word

del.icio.us Digg Furl Reddit Ask BlinkList blogmarks Google Ma.gnolia Netscape RawSugar Rojo Shadows Simpy Socializer Spurl StumbleUpon Tailrank Technorati Windows Live Wists Yahoo! Help

No comments: