Monday, October 29, 2007

Porter Wagoner dead at age 80

When I was a child my parents tuned into the Porter Wagoner Show every evening at 6:30 p.m. on Channel 6 in Paducah, Ky. We sat in front of a black and white Zenith and listened to him and Dolly Parton sing their country music. Well, Mr. Porter has died at age 80. He had lung cancer and spent his final days in a hospice.

There were those who didn’t much care for his twangy voice and rhinestone outfits, however, I was a fan. Maybe it was because I saw people like Porter Wagoner through the eyes of a child that came to believe that if you worked hard enough you could succeed at anything. Like so many that have now left us --- Hank Williams, String Bean, Grandpa Jones, Johnny Cash, Ray Acuff and Minnie Pearl --- each one brought me a special memory and each had their own story that inspired ole country boys born on the wrong side of the tracks like me.

I can’t sing, play an instrument or even dance very well so I never aspired to be a country music star. I tried to take other lost highways to success.

But I liked their music and their humor. Their songs and lyrics resonated in my heart and soul and touched me.

Porter Wagoner loved his friends, fans and family. If there were any doubt his friend’s visit this past weekend would put that to rest:

Country singer and Opry member Dierks Bentley visited Wagoner in the hospice over the weekend and said Wagoner led them in prayer, thanking God for his friends, his family and the Grand Ole Opry.

Rest in peace Mr. Porter Wagoner. You have earned the right to sing in the heavenly choir.

Until next time.

Dr. Darryl
L. Darryl Armstrong
ARMSTRONG and Associates

Spread the word

del.icio.us Digg Furl Reddit Ask BlinkList blogmarks Google Ma.gnolia Netscape RawSugar Rojo Shadows Simpy Socializer Spurl StumbleUpon Tailrank Technorati Windows Live Wists Yahoo! Help

No comments: