Sunday, May 31, 2009

We Will Miss You Coach G

Tranquilla II on the Back of Eddy Creek on Lake Barkley --- When I was in the 7th grade at Caldwell County Junior High School in Princeton, Ken., now some 45 years ago a short, squat extremely Italian-looking fellow and his lovely wife showed up to begin what was to be a love affair with Princeton and high school athletics.

I won't bother you with all the athletic parts of the story of Coach Al
Girodano, "Coach G" as he was fondly called by those who played for him, or not, because there are others who can do a much better job of that.

Nope, I want to share with you though a short story about a young man, maybe around 14 at the time, whose father was not at home and who looked high and low for father figures. Coach G, along with Principal Bill Brown, Teacher Riley
Dennington, Editor Gid S. Pool, and Printmaster Lowell Hobby were a few of those "fathers" that "adopted" me when I needed it the most.

I never played any sports for Coach G. I was never a sports hero. I was not even very good at whatever sport I tried except maybe racquetball where I did now and then perform pretty well.

I was the classic "nerd" before being a "nerd" was cool.

I was the sports photographer for the local newspaper, the score-keeper for the Little and Lassie league teams. I was the "fringe" guy always on the edge of all the sports but never one to be coached by Coach G.

But there is one thing that even to this day some 45-years later I
remember about Coach G that makes me smile and comforts me.

One day when I was at the ballpark all alone and feeling pretty down, bouncing a ball off the wall and catching it, Coach G came by and he asked me if I would like to drive his tractor and cut some grass.

What 14-year old that craved male
attention from such a prestigious fellow as Coach G wouldn't?

I never knew if Coach G knew it or not but that day I felt like one of his "boys."

Coach G. helped me that day to feel needed and wanted. And to this day I have always been grateful for that. To him it was probably nothing much at all, and most likely he never even remembered it.

Not me. When I heard of his passing the other day as I was
enroute to the airport to a long-standing business commitment I was greatly saddened because I had never told him how much that seemingly insignificant act of kindess meant to me.

I had seen the Coach at our high school class reunion in 2008. Now and then I saw his wife or daughters Jill and Joni here or there.

But I was always in awe of "The Coach" and never went out of my way to speak only when spoken to. But Coach G was as important to me as any young man or woman he ever coached in any sport.

That hot summer day in 1964 he gave me hope and purpose even if it was nothing
more than "helping" him to mow the grass.

Strange the little "seemingly insignificant" things we remember about people isn't it?

However, let us never forget that sometimes it is not what we say or do to or for others but how we make them feel that ultimately counts.

Kay and I send our
warmest thoughts and prayers to Mrs. G and Jill and Joni. We do know the heartache that comes with losing loved ones. Yet ...

"When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight." --- Kahlil Gibran

Love, peace and grace, Dr. D

Photo from the Times-Leader, Princeton, Ky

1 comment:

Jill Giordano said...

Darryl - Mom had already given me a copy of this but my sister in Nashville found this yesterday when she was cruising the net. This is so touching and so like the many other stories I have heard from "nerds" or "non-athletes" who my dad touched. He was a special guy not to mention a great dad. He never met a stranger and loved everyone he met. THANK YOU.