Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Two Viewpoints on "The Michael"



From Tranquilla II on the Back of Eddy Creek on Lake Barkley ---
Okay, I admit I do have an opinion, however, before I voice mine I would like to share with you two different viewpoints expressed by two women. One of whom I know and is a social worker in St. Louis and the other I have no idea. Strangely enough I can identify with both of their views. LPG, Dr. D.

From "Judy" somewhere in time ...

OK, I'm sorry, but somebody has to say it. I am already very tired of the headlines concerning how "the world is morning the loss of Michael Jackson." Even the Pope made a statement about the great loss to humanity . .

Folks, we have young men and women giving up their lives for our country and the freedom of others every day. There are young people in Iran who are probably going to be beheaded because they support free elections. There are thousands of children and girls kidnapped every day for the sex trade in Africa and the Far East. And yes, there ARE starving children in Africa . . STILL!

Michael jackson is not a humanitarian. He has squandered millions on his own lavish pleasures. He is not a spiritual man. He was a odd little man who fondled little boys. Quit anointing him to Sainthood.

I have friends who died in the jungles of Viet Nam 35 years ago and their memory and their sacrifice are STILL more important to me than a dance video. "Thriller" did not change my life. The loss of brave hero friends changed my life.

You want to mourn something? - Then mourn the homeless, mourn the abused children, mourn the abused women, mourn with the family of a fallen soldier, mourn for the veteran who served his or her country and now spends dreary days in dilapidated hospitals.

If you want to celebrate lives . . than celebrate the teacher who taught you to read, celebrate the coach who showed you how to kick a soccer ball, celebrate the clergy who stand with you in times of sorrow, celebrate the lives of those who hold you in their hearts daily . .. Celebrate your friends, your children, your parents, your siblings. Mourn the fallen soldier, the death of the America we know, the parent or loved one who sacrificed for you, the elderly or the child who has no hope of a better life, and knows nothing but abuse. There's plenty to mourn. Michael Jackson is not paramount among this!

Judy,

From Lynn in St. Louis. Her response to the above ...

Who is the author of this forward, and why is he/she unwilling to acknowledge authorship??

I agree with this forward, to an extent. I was one of those quick to presume guilt and pass judgement on Michael Jackson, when the charges were made public. One of the hallmarks of our judicial system is the presumption of innocence until proven guilty. Michael Jackson was acquitted of charges. IF he got away with something in this life, he will not get away with it in the next, when he sits in judgement before God, which is where it REALLY counts. I believe in a God of both mercy and justice, but His mercy and justice are not the same as ours ("... so high are His ways above our ways").

Having seen (a week or so ago) Jackson's very candid interview with BBC journalist Martin Beshear, and having seen his little daughter step up to the mic at the end of today's memorial service, and tearfully tell the world that "he was the best father you could imagine, and I love him very much", I have to reconsider my assumptions of guilt. Of course, some people can and do compartmentalize themselves, and it's possible he could be both a good father to his own children, and a pervert with others. He was certainly guilty of being naive about the inappropriateness of any adult having others' children in his bed for any reason, and certainly didn't "get" how damaging public knowledge of that could be, for someone of his visibility and wealth. He was misguided. And the changes to his physical appearance through the years were definitely bizarre. But that does not necessarily mean he was a "bad" person. ("Judge not, lest ye be judged.") I would also say that spirituality and religiosity are two entirely different things; to those who would label him as unspiritual, I would counter that perhaps he was precisely the opposite: too spiritual for many people to comprehend. He could appear "out there", and sometimes seemed to lose touch with reality. This can be said of people who have an artistic, creative bent.

In the Beshear interview, Jackson revealed that his father was an unrelenting task-master, who wielded a belt to whomever messed up in group rehearsals. I don't see any reason for Michael to lie about this.... to make a false accusation. I believe that Joe Jackson saw a chance to ride/coast on a cash cow, and demanded participation (not giving the boys a choice about performing), if not perfection. This level of expectation (responsibility and self-discipline beyond their years) is a heavy burden, and is often hardest on the younger/est children, and if I'm not mistaken, Michael was the youngest. When people observe children acting like miniature adults and comment positively that they are "mature for their age", they don't realize that the children have often been threatened and cowed into submission, behind closed doors. It can and often does take a toll on a still-developing and vulnerable personality. My father had high expectations for me and was strict, and I can relate to this pressure from personal experience. There are lots of differences between me and Michael Jackson, one of which is that I had no desire to and didn't attempt to recapture the innocence and pure joy of a lost childhood by surrounding myself with children (my own or anyone else's).

I would submit the explanation (not excuse) that perhaps Michael Jackson's irresponsibility with money is another manifestation of reversion to the egoism of childhood. Unless and until children are properly socialized, they consider themselves the center of the universe. They have little concept of money and can be demanding when it comes to toys, electronics, etc. That isn't "bad"; it's an early phase in the maturation process. Maybe Michael Jackson did "waste" a lot of money. However, it appears that, away from the glare of TV cameras, he also spent a lot of it providing assistance to those less fortunate.

I heard someone on TV complain about the "deification" of Michael Jackson. Whether in life or death, celebrity deification is nothing new. It is associated with twisted priorities/perspectives. We revere and pay our sports figures, our entertainers, etc. far out of proportion to their overall true value to society. Those who contribute the most good (e.g., social workers, teachers, counselors, military personnel) are at the bottom of the pay/recognition totem pole.

There is no question that Michael Jackson was an extremely talented, gifted entertainer. Did he change my life? No. But I bought the Thriller album and enjoyed it.

So much for my two cents worth! :-)

Lynn

No comments: