Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Friends and clients who truly care

Stimpy at rest on our deck at 202 Second Avenue, Tybee Island, Ga. Rescued when he was about a year old from the wilds of the mountains in Oak Ridge, Tenn., Stimpy has been my faithful partner and companion for the past 14-years. He was inadvertently named for the cat in the cartoon series "Ren and Stimpy" because my wife thought "Stimpy" was the dog on the show.


Tybee
Island, Ga. --- Stimpy had a restful night last night although Kay and I are both now waking up about 3 a.m. and reading. Little Bit had to be taken to the doctor today with the same ailment as Max seems to be suffering.

We have decided to depart Tybee Island on our original plan of December 20th and hopefully we will have Stimpy home for his last Christmas in Kentucky.


He does not at present seem to be in any distress or discomfort to speak of. He even treed a squirrel yesterday. “Saqaw” the Squirrel and he go way back to his puppy days in Oak Ridge when the squirrels and “Kala” the Crow would pester him on our walks and hikes in the mountains.

We will keep everyone posted through the blog.

Mentally I am having good hours and bad ones about this whole ordeal. I am reminded by ordeals such as this one that life is short and every minute is to be enjoyed. Dogs live in the minute --- the here and now --- they have no past nor any future as far as they are concerned.

Humans, especially this human, has lived a great deal of his life in the past and always looking toward the future. Dogs can teach us a lot of important things and perhaps one of the most important is how to live in the now.

The other day I sent a note to all my clients and friends and explained that for all practical purposes I would be worthless until after the first of the year. Dealing with this personal crisis is consuming my time and my mental energy.

The one thing that has helped me more than I can ever express in words are the messages and notes of concern that everyone all across the country have been sending us since I let them know of the situation.

The understanding and compassion our clients and friends are sharing with us truly are helping us to cope and we could not be more thankful. It is during times such as these that we realize we have so many dear friends.

Here are some of the messages we have received

Darryl, I can understand as I lost both my Bassett Hounds when they were 18 years old and my 19-year-old cat all in the same year. I will tell you it was the longest week each time I had to have one put down. I felt like I was taking them to the death chamber to have them relieved of their pain. I now realize it was selfish of me to make them hang on for so long as they wore out, but I did not want to give them up for I was so attached. Darryl it literally broke my heart and I cried all day and struggle to write this now thinking about it.

The vet told me more than once to remember quality of life for them and I wanted to keep them. If it is any help or comfort I did not know what to do with the first one as I showed up at the vet and was told no hope and she would have to be put down. Decision time what do you do take her home in a bag to be buried, have them dispose of the remains or have her cremated? I chose the cremation that way I could have all three done then buried together as they spent their lives that way together all day and night. I do not think I could have taken the dog (Chelsea) home and had the strength to dig a hole to bury her.

A person cannot imagine if they have not walked in yours and my shoes. They may say it is just a dog and I say no it is one who has trusted me all its life and in return has been a loyal friend to me. I pray that you will find comfort in your decision whatever it is as you will go thru it again with others and it does not get any easier.

God give you comfort as you mourn the loss. If I can help please call me on my cell day or night. C.H. Hopkinsville, KY

Bless your heart, Darryl. I am so sorry about Stimpy. And I am sorry you have to work through his illness and pain and his leaving this sweet old world. I am just really happy that I got to visit there a couple of times and rub his head and ears and enjoy the company of Stimpy and Little Bit. They are sweet dogs and I know you are having a hard time. I am glad that Kay is there to take charge of logistics and to take care of you. And I am glad you have been in a warmer, kinder climate but I think it is probably a good thing to bring Stimpy home to the lake house. Either way, he knows he is a lucky dog. He knows you have loved him. And yes, I am sure that he is trying to take care of you emotionally too. All those enigmatic smiles, those adoring wise eyes are full of you. Heck, you two probably have already known each other in lives past and will know each other again in a future life. I am pretty sure of that. Don't call me crazy. I just got home from working at the clothing store where our manager affectionately calls us “shoe dogs”. (We fetch slippers and shoes, we use a few tricks to make shoes fit, and we make people's tired, sore old "dogs" feel a little better with a good fit. I like that term even more, now that I think of it, though honestly none of us deserve such a noble title. Any how, I am just sitting here empathizing with you and wishing Stimpy could have missed this sad ordeal altogether and I am responding to you because I love you and I will be thinking of you and Kay and Stimpy and Little Bit. And for some strange reason, I am seeing in my mind's eye the back of one of our Life is Good tee shirts. It says, "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow's a mystery. Today is the day. You are doing everything the way you are supposed to do it right now, Darryl. Today is the day. Whisper to Stimpy and tell him Charlotte said "Good Boy." I love you, Bro. – C.P. Lexington, KY

Doc --- sorry to hear of this as I have had this task as well in the past one was my police shepherd the other my family dog both were as close as a child to my wife and I both were the protectors of the house while I was out on the road so I know how close and how much a part of our lives they become - If possible and he is able take him home and treat him to a good meal and do what needs to be done and take knowledge in the fact that you are doing what is best for him it will be hard for a while but over time you will know what you did was for the best and remember the good times with him - Dan Hubbard CPS/TSO

Doc --- I do not know you nor have I responded to a post on our net so I hope this works correctly. I just want to say how sorry I am for you and your beloved partner. I have my border collie Destiny, who is now 13 and we have spent many long hard hours together on the cattle ranch where we live. I know the special bond that develops between true partners who love their work. I am very sorry for you. Sincerely, Ellamarie Richmond

Darryl: Although we have never met in person, I feel like we developed an instant friendship in our conversations over the past few weeks. Maybe it was because we are both dog lovers and were able to share stories about our very dear four legged friends. I just wanted to take the time to let you know I will keep you and Kay in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. Thanks for sharing your stories of Stimpy. Take care, Lori, Panama City, FL

Darryl – Best of luck with Stimpy. We’ve been through this—most recently with Choey two falls ago. Only dog owners understand how hard these times are. We are thinking about you all. Remember that 15 years with a wonderful dog is more than most of us can ever hope for—so you’ve been blessed. Mac, Bardstown, KY

Darryl, I'm so sorry to hear Stimpy's news. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. You are all in our thoughts and prayers. Love, Cammie, Cadiz, KY

A couple of years ago my family lost our cocker that had been part of our family for 15 plus years. It was tough on all of us. You have my sympathy. Tim Murphy, CIC, AAI, Hopkinsville, KY

I am very, very sorry to hear this news. I cannot imagine how traumatic this must be. You and Stempy are in my prayers. – Jonell, Louisville, KY

Dear Darryl: Kay mentioned to me at the program review that Stimpy is not doing well. I am so sorry to hear of his suffering. Please take the time you need to support Stimpy and let me know if there is anything I can do to help you. Sincerely, Tom, Bethesda, MD

Hey Darryl --- We are so sorry to hear about Stimpy. We know he has been a good and faithful companion who has helped you weather a number of storms. Please be consoled by the fact that you also rescued him and gave him a wonderful, happy life. You are in our thoughts, as we know how difficult it is to lose a pet. Love, Dawn and Richard, Knoxville, TN

Darryl, I'll keep you, Kay, Stimpy and the other boys in my prayers. Love, Rosemary, Belton, TX

Darryl and Kay, Walker & I said a prayer for Stimpy today, and also the two of you. You are in our prayers. Sam, Eddyville, KY

Darryl, We are so sorry to hear about Stempy. Dogs are truly man's best friend. When we are happy, they are happy. And, when we are sad, so are they. I know these are very difficult times, but I hope you can find solace in the fact that Stempy's spirit will always be with you. It would seem that the long trip back to the lake might be a bit difficult for him. But since he knows how happy you are at the beach -- and how much he enjoys the routine you two have established on these special beach vacations, I'm sure both you and he can find peace in knowing you've spent your final days together in the place the two of you enjoy so much. I know when Daisy passed away in Maryland, there was no way that Andy would have her buried there. We were able to have her cremated and brought her back to Tennessee with us. Maybe you can consider the same thing and Stempy can be in both places for you for the rest of time. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Kay, and the boys. Love, Gail, Knoxville, TN

I haven't been on the computer for a couple of days. Ole' Stemper will be in our prayers. Also I didn't know that he'd have to go thru chemo and radiation! What an ordeal for the poor baby. I feel like you, Darryl. The prognosis is questionable and he's so old, I don't think he should go thru surgery either … under the circumstances. I know what we went thru with our Max and Tugger and believe me they are in a better place now. They suffered a lot and it was so very hard on us too....but ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do for the best of our beloved doggies. We were with Max and Tug when the time came so they knew we loved them so very much. We kissed them and said "goodnite" and they slowly and softly went to sleep...very peaceful and no pain whatsoever. It was just better for them....harder for us but again, better for them. So again, sweetie, 'Ole Stemper will be in our prayers and I know that you'll do the best thing for him. Love....Ann and Jim, Tybee Island, GA

Sorry to hear about your dog, Darryl. You have my sympathy--our dogs are "family." Dogs love unconditionally. Too bad we people can't do the same...it would be a great leap toward world peace. The best, Chuck H. Mayville, TN

Darryl, If there is anything I can do let me know Regards, Hol, Hopkinsville, KY

Dear Darryl, I am so sorry about Stimpy's condition. I hope you find some peace and joy with him in the time you have left together. We are thinking of you... Ellen and Dave, Clarksville, TN

I'm so, so sorry...know that I am thinking of you all, and keeping you in my prayers.
Much love, Carole, Nashville, TN

Darryl, I am so sorry to hear, and having just been through it, I know it is more than some folks realize. But it is as important as any thing we do in this life. A man's loyalty to his dog, which trusts him, is one of life's great moral obligations. And I know for you it is met with love in every decision and every act. Your friend, Noel, Knoxville, TN

Oh my dear one, I am so sorry. I know you've been trying to get ready for this but how can one be ready for this? I send you such love, please know my heart is with you and your beloved Stimpy. He has always been your angel. Please keep letting everyone know of developments, and I will tune in with my heart and my tears. Love you much, Marilyn, San Francisco, CA

Darryl, I'm so sorry. Please know we're all thinking about you. Patti M., Storm Lake, IA

I am so sorry to hear that Stimpy does have cancer. I know this is a difficult time for you and Kay, as well as Stimpy. All I can do is keep you all in my prayers. I love you all, Betty M., Smyrna, GA

oh my goodness! i am so sorry you are having to go through this. i know you are like me, in that your dogs are your babies/children/companions/etc. i know it is something we all face as a pet owner, but you are never prepared for it, nor is it an easy thing to deal with. stimpy and the rest of your family are in my thoughts and prayers. :) love brandy, TX

I am so sorry for you! I have been through this as well. Love, Valerie, Louisville, KY

HI Bro! So so sorry to hear about Stimpy...I remember ur doggie well, and know the pain involved in making those tough choices. I had to do the same for my 18 yr old cats back in DC , Pippin & Baggens, and then just this past March with Lily who was only 14 but also had a massive tumor in her belly...which i didn't even know about until she was on her way out. It is gut wrenching as they are truly our best friends and children to the core. Please know I am sending u much light to get thru this difficult time and also sending light to your puppy as he makes his way to the heavens to comfort your Mom and others waiting to great him. Love and Blessings, Sis, Monterey, CA

I am so sorry. I know what he means to you and I also know that he is family. Is there anything I can do? For what it is worth, I vote for bringing him back to the lake. That is the home he loved and you always will be close to him. Hugs and kisses and prayers. Gaynell, Hopkinsville, KY

Hi Darryl, Thanks for the update on Stimpy. I am sorry to hear it. We helped our cat transition this year-it was one of the hardest things I have ever done, so I understand some of what you are feeling. We are sending our love and blessings and I am so happy that Stimpy found you and vice versa. I know how important he has been to you and what a good friend. Being an Armstrong family member is a very cool thing-so I know he has had a supreme life. Let us know if we can support you in anyway. Much love, Danielle, OR

Bro, So sorry about Stimpy...I understand...and I'll be thinking about you and your long-time friend and companion. Larry, KY

Darryl and Kay, So saddened to hear about Stimpy. I knew that you had taken him to the vet but was unsure of the outcome. I well know about the loss of pets. Know that our thoughts and prayers are with you two special people now and always. Love, Cheryl and Joe, GA

THANKS so very much to you all for your notes, prayers and wishes.

Until next time.
Dr. Darryl
L. Darryl Armstrong
www.armstrongandassociates.org

1 comment:

jokerr1 said...

I am very pleased to hear you are coming home to Kentucky. I just have a good feeling about your spending Christmas here. I have known Stempy for as long as I have know you - although I only met him once in person. I don't know if I ever told you or not - but my family still has our dog named Ren. I named her after the name mishap with Stempy - I felt there needed to be a balance. sorry to our Feline friends, eh?
I know the future seems bleak right now - but this is the Christmas Season. I pray for the Spirit to find you and Bless each of you dearly. May it help to know you have friends who care for you. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. And thank you for your tips on living in the present. I need to hear that occasionally. Much love & Merry Christmas! - Jo