Wednesday, December 19, 2007

We are leaving Tybee Island Thursday

Tybee Island, Ga. --- I always hate the day before we pack up to leave the beach.

I have to get my mind wrapped around the concept that now I must return to “reality” even though as in all the years past we have worked at least 50% of the time we have been here. So, reality is not work for me it is something else entirely.

The beach, and especially Tybee Island, has become a second home to me over the past 20-years. I have always wondered “what if” --- I had come here straight from my divorce as a single person would I have stayed? Could I have become a “beach bum”? Would I enjoy it as much as I do now?

I have no answers for any of those questions yet I do know that with dear adoptive parents like Ann and Jim Knipe, friends that we have made here, and the dogs we have met I suspect my life would have been quite content. Yet, I am also confident that we have no coincidences in our lives. Things happen according to some plan beyond our comprehension.

So, I suppose things just play themselves out as a much greater intelligence desires.

Leaving Tybee this year though is very difficult. I know that Stimpy will not return to one of his favorite hangouts and my how he has enjoyed this trip despite the doctors visits and the biopsy. He has re-energized himself the last few days and actually has shown some of his “puppy” side flirting with the likes of Walker the Coon Hound. Stimpy found his voice the past two days and has been letting ole Walker know of his interest.

Today, the ole man got a very long walk early this morning. The brisk weather has helped him actually I think feel better. When we get back to Kentucky and the weather is really brisk I hope he sustains his enthusiasm and yet I know we are counting days. Although each day with this ole dog has been a blessing in my life, each day now is truly a blessing.

So many people remind me that we “rescued” Stimpy. But that is only partially true. The reality in my mind is that Stimpy “rescued” and “saved” me from my own despair. I don’t know how you ever repay such a debt or such loyalty to a friend.

If only our two-legged friends had such love, loyalty and fidelity.

Simper Fi Stimper, Simper Fi.

Until next time.
Dr. Darryl
L. Darryl Armstrong
www.armstrongandassociates.org

No comments: