Sunday, January 13, 2008

An interview with Dr. Darryl

H.J.D. Stempson recently interviewed Dr. L. Darryl Armstrong. This was not an easy task. Darryl Armstrong frequently works with and counsels his clients on dealing with the media, however, he rarely gives interviews. Stempson is one of Darryl’s closet friends and a talented writer. What follows over the next few days is Stempson’s recounting of this event.

HJDS – I understand Darryl you don’t give many interviews. I appreciate your willingness to do so with me. So, let’s get right to it. You have a reputation of being a pretty intense person when it comes to your work. What about your personal life?

DrD – You are most welcome. Well, I would say that over the years I have mellowed greatly. There was a time when I came to believe that having a personal life was difficult to do as focused as I was on my work especially during the 70s and 80s. However, during my time at Oak Ridge National Lab and certainly since I started my own firm I have been much more open to developing more of a personal life.

HJDS – Do you have any hobbies?

DrD – Does working count? Seriously, I really enjoy working and I guess I always am in some form or fashion. My mind jumps from work to pleasure pretty quickly. I am always looking for new ideas to pursue. I guess my “hobbies’ would be walking my dogs, reading, and enjoying a good Scotch or Bourbon. I can no longer smoke a good cigar or my pipe due to health problems and that was always a “hobby” I guess. I enjoy deer hunting with my buddies --- those that haven’t died on me --- and I enjoy cooking, grilling and entertaining. A good debate about politics or world affairs is kind of fun too.

HJDS – How many dogs do you have?

DrD – Three right now. My older dog Stimpy, well we found he had cancer when we were at the island this year. I am ensuring I spend as much time with him as I can and he has always gotten special treatment anyway. He’s a husky mix. Max is the 65-pound puppy and is an Alaskan malamute and Little Bit is a 20-pound Bischon.

HJDS – I understand Stimpy is really special to you. He saved your life?

DrD – Yes, he did. I have always grappled with and fought with depression. In the 70s and 80s I had severe bouts especially due to a personal relationship that went south. Then in the 1990s after I started the firm I had a severe round and was suicidal. Stimpy literally kept me from eating a bullet. I will forever be grateful to him. I suspect no other dog will ever be as special to me.

To be continued ...

Until next time.
Dr. Darryl
L. Darryl Armstrong
http://www.armstrongandassociates.org/

No comments: