Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Finding Family at a Dog Park

From Tranquilla II on the Back of Eddy Creek - Lake Barkley --- All my life I have "created" my own families. Maybe I do that because as an only child I sought solace, companionship, "brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers" that meet your needs when those needs are not met in your life. So, it was ever since I came home in 1971 and tried to put stuff out of the back of my mind.

I had no relationship with my biological Dad to speak of even though we did try toward the end of his life to reconcile and for my Mother's sake we both tried hard. My Mom had always been overly protective, which led me to do all sorts of things to "prove to myself" that I could do them despite her protestations and although I dearly loved her she never really understood all that I did and why I did it, which is probably true of most Mothers.

My first "family" was composed of "Brothers" Bob, Bert, Bill, Weldon, Don, Jim, and Hank; "Sisters" Mary Anne, Sue, and Jacki; "Mom" was Brooksie and "Dad" was Colonel L.B.

And all those years we worked together in the travel show business we knew we were "family". "Mom" helped me through my heartbreaks; "Dad" gave me good advice and little money; and my "brothers" well they were just there to help me get into trouble and live life more to its fullest. My "sisters" - it was my job to protect them from many of my "brothers" and all those other scandalous people they would encounter in life.

Then one day "my family" began to die. Sue from breast cancer complications, Weldon from a massive heart attack and then my ole buddy and best pal of 30 plus years Bert from complications of bladder cancer.

Of course, I went off to new jobs and left the travel show business and slowly the "family" became more of a family in name.

However, my need for family never changed.

Then I found Tybee and a dog park.

Sitting on a bench one day I began to realize that a new family was forming not by intention this time but through grace. My Mom and Dad have passed - Jim and Ann Knipe are my surrogate parents and took on that role almost 20-years ago - I often say that if I could have chosen my parents it truly would have been Jim and Ann as my Mom and Dad - and then at the dog park I found "brothers" Paul, Mike, Chris, Vince, Glenn, and Tim and "sisters" Miss Vivian, Allison, Annie, Junie, Chrissie, Kim and Fio.

"Cousins" abound there as well --- coming and going now and then but there are some of us that are "regulars in this family" at least when we are around and others who are regulars because it is a place to come to "be at home."

Tim and I were talking one day. I think he understands that sometimes it is truly hard to "come home" but then we do what we must and life, well it goes on day by day, and until I get back to the dog park to sit and have a cocktail and philosophize I guess I am hung doing so right here.

There are those reading this that understand and get it. So, this video of the St. Patty's Day parade at Tybee Island set to music sums it up well.

At Tybee you live life and enjoy it just as we all should daily. Except there it is exaggerated some and even those of us who the world may deem "different" - well, at Tybee and at the Tybee Dog Park we are all accepted for who we are --- and the dogs? --- well they have known this concept for a very, very long time.

Until next time.

Love, peace and grace, Dr. D